Experience midwifery care
in a developing country
Observe & assist on labour wards, pre and postnatal wards and OBG
Midwifery elective programmes
Take your midwifery elective placement abroad with The Mighty Roar and experience first-hand the challenges of midwifery in a developing country. This is your chance for a challenging yet highly rewarding experience that will allow you to gain a broad overview and understanding of the care provided or to specialise in an area of interest, whether that be labour wards, pre or postnatal care or OBG.
Our unique midwifery programmes will allow you to observe qualified midwives during patient consultations on the maternity ward, witness childbirth in the delivery room, spend time in theatre and the chance to provide postnatal care talking to mothers about family planning and birth control. Based in a range of government and private hospitals, you'll witness how a lack of funding impacts the quality of care provided and how traditional beliefs and different cultural attitudes exist around childbirth.
We host hundreds of university students on their midwifery elective placements each and every year. Over the last few years we have built up strong relationships with many universities around the United Kingdom and abroad, with many now actively recommending us to their students. We are able to complete any paperwork required from your university and can ensure that your course requirements are met in terms of minimum hours, placement setting and more.
Our structured and safe midwifery elective placements are ideal for first time and / or solo travellers as well as students looking to travel as a group. Taking your elective placement overseas with The Mighty Roar is the perfect way to meet like-minded people and allows you to explore a new and exciting country as a group.
- Gain in-depth insight into global midwifery practices overseas
- Witness first hand the major differences in the fundamentals of midwifery
- Shadow qualified midwives in a range of maternity units abroad
- 24/7 in-country & UK support
- Comprehensive pre-departure support and assistance with all aspects of your trip
- Pre-departure buddy lists and a dedicated Facebook group to talk with other volunteers
- Are you a qualified midwife? Please click here for suitable programmes.